Friday, November 07, 2008

Historic Day

I know I am not the first to say this, but I feel compelled to say it anyway. (Plus it helps me keep up my apparent theme of presidential pictures.)

Be you red, blue, green or some other shade of political affiliation, the people of the United States of America have spoken. We have our first African American president elect. Breaking from the mold of upper class older white males, we have made a very public step towards the equality our nation has paid lip service to for so long. As Tomas Jefferson penned in what may be called our nation’s first cry for equality, the Declaration of Independence, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,…”

Q. Did I vote for him? A. Does it matter? I am writing this not in support of or as opposition to his political stance or proposed policy issues. I am writing because I am awestruck that we have come to this point. Call me a dreamer, but I like to see this as a very public expression that as a nation we are really moving towards greater tolerance of those who are different than we are. Mayhap in my life time there will truly be a day where as MLK said “my … little children will … live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

There I said it.

3 comments:

Auntie M said...

I personally am not a fan NOR am I even happy with the decision. I couldn't care less about the percieved progress of race or equality. I wouldn't dare to put this country's leader at stake.

I fear many people voted based upon race which is EXACTLY contrary to the equality objective. I fear that this decision will have lasting effects on our country.

If at some point in the future I can say it was a wise decision, then I will eat my words. But for now I wish to not watch the news about this nor discuss it. I am truly disappointed in this country right now.

There I said it too! But I do love my nephew!

Brigette said...

Well, I was surprised to find out that Barrack Obama was not the first minority president. Christopher has just indicated that we have already had a Mexican president--Tomas Jefferson.

Weston

Minister of Chainsaws said...

I agree, sir. I can understand that people are worried about the future of the country, but I think amidst the political turmoil, there's at least a silver lining. And while there are many things at stake here, I truly believe that the social implications involved are of dire importance.

Maybe I'll write another blog on the matter before another year rolls 'round... just for you.